Monday, January 3, 2011

Children's Math Book Review: Apollo

Have you read Apollo? While this cute little book was probably not written with the intent of teaching math concepts, I love it for it's ability to explore basic vocabulary with simplicity and humor.

Summary: The owner of a dachshund describes how adorable, obedient, and clever his dog is from all sides and all directions.

Basically, the narrator introduces you to Apollo, looking at his back, middle, front, sides, etc. The reader is exposed to the words: horizontally, vertically, diagonally, left, right, etc. My favorite pages explore the concept of "half" when the pictures show the front half of Apollo but then show "different halves" by showing his top half and bottom half. Great humor and concept exploration for preschool and early primary children. The same author also has a book, Counting With Apollo, that I've not yet seen.

Vertical Stuffed Moose
I handed our older digital camera to my 8yo son this afternoon so he could take photos of stuffed animals, exploring the vocabulary and concepts from the book.

This would also make a great preschool or primary math workbox.
Horizontal Stuffed Moose

1/2 of a Stuffed Dog


3 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun book to own! I'm going to look into it. Thanks for recommending!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Usborne Books sells this book and I was so bummed to see it went out of print :( though they do have Counting with Apollo, which you may like as well (www.ubah.com/L2096)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, somehow I missed that you posted about the counting book too...want to review that one for a giveaway?? (that's what happens when I 'read' these posts while my kids are tugging at my arms)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips