Saturday, December 31, 2011

One, Two, Skip a Few!

Recently ran across a math-related book I've never read. (Crazy, I know!) :)  One, Two, Skip a Few! contains number rhymes perfect for the preK-Kindergarten set. But I could also see it used as a model for writing math-related poetry in the upper grades.

It contains a few familiar poems such as "One, two, three, four, five, Once I caught a fish alive..." but it also includes many poems new to me. Some include vocabulary for ordinal numbers: first, second, third, etc. Others include examples of concepts like multiplication...

"Twice one are two,
Violets white and blue.
Twice two are four,
Sunflowers at the door."
(continues up to twice twelve...)

Great book to add to a math-related children's library! And inexpensively out-of-print, to boot! Looking for more math-related children's titles? The gigantic booklist has been updated!

4 comments:

  1. This looks like wonderful fun! My son loves numbers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An Almost Unschooling Mom has left a new comment on your post "One, Two, Skip a Few!":

    Math themed poetry for the older children...hmmm...I think I see some fun ahead :)

    Sorry...deleted this by accident...I was trying to reply to look under my poetry label. Lots of stuff there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not familiar with this book either. Thank you for the recommendation!
    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me a message. I love comments almost as much as I love chocolate! And I do LOVE chocolate. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Blogging tips